We’ve had lots of questions about e-books lately, as many people received e-readers for Christmas! I wanted to let you know that we’re paying attention!
The State Library of Kansas has offered a downloadable e-book service for all Kansas residents for several years. In December, the State Library switched providers. The transition to the new provider is taking longer than expected, but a new downloadable e-book library should be up and running within a few weeks. The new e-book service, along with the downloadable audio service (which is up & running) will be located at www.kslib.info/digitalbooks, and you’ll need a free Kansas Library Card to access the services (which you can get here at the library). We’ll let you know when the e-book service becomes available. At this point, it appears that titles for Kindle users may not be available initially.
We are looking into options for providing our own e-book library. However, it may be several months before we are able to do so, because of timelines set forth by the vendor. However, we are hoping to have such a service up by early summer.
There are several websites that have free e-books available, mostly public domain works. A few sites include:
- Project Gutenberg – Free e-books for PC’s, Kindle, Android, iOS or other portable devices.
- Feedbooks – Provides some free e-books for Android & iPhone/iPad.
- Open Library – Initiative of the Internet Archive providing free world classic literature e-books.
- Inkmesh – an e-book search engine to find free content and compare prices for e-readers.
- Google Books – Public domain titles available for PC’s and other portable devices.
- Free Technology for Teachers – Places to find free e-books for yourself and your students.
- ManyBooks – over 29,000 titles available in many formats and languages. search by author, title, genre or language.
- Munseys – collection of fiction titles available in several digital formats.
- Baen – science fiction and fantasy titles available from Baen Publishing.
- Free-eBooks.net – a variety of fiction and non-fiction titles.
- GetFreeEBooks.com – site includes a variety of genres.